Sunday, November 21, 2010

All I want is the pie..... a bit of anxiety about Thanksgiving

It appears I can't get out of appearing at two Thanksgiving dinners and this is giving me a great deal of anxiety. 

We are going to Grandma's at 2:30 p.m.  Easy peasy.  All of my family knows about my surgery and is quite supportive. So if I am having a tight band day and it is all liquids for me -- they get it,  No stress there.  I love going to Grandma's house. It will be a small gathering this year -- even better. 

The problem is -- now husband wants to also drag me to Uncle's as well, at 1 p.m.  TWO meals, so close together, when I dont even know if I can eat at one.  And his family doesn't know about my band, so I am sure there will be a bazillion questions if I don't eat anything.  Not only that -- but to be around all the food, smell all the food, and not even take a bite...... man, that puts me in a tough spot. 

Because let's face it -- I still love food. 

Besides the food, it is just a larger crowd and I don't do crowd's well. And -- I don't know hardly anyone there, so that is always uncomfortable. REALLY uncomfortable. 

And then there are the potatoes. Grandma asked me to do the potatoes. She is getting older and preparing such a large meal is hard on her. So absolutely -- I need to peel and cut and mash potatoes so she doesn't have to.  

Call me fussy, whiney or whatever you like.  But I do not like mashed potatoes that have been prepared in advance and let to keep warm for several hours.  It changes the consistency.  And believe me --- Aunt has hardly welcomed me into the family so the last thing I want to do is go to her house, refuse to eat her Thanksgiving Dinner -- but ask to use her kitchen so I can make potatoes for Grandma. Besides, I totally understand -- her kitchen will already be chaotic.  

So that leaves me with peeling and chopping potatoes, and taking them to Grandma's, and make her promise just to turn on the stove.  Then have to leave Uncle's, race to Grandma's to mash those potatoes before she does.  Which will be a challenge.  Because if I am not there -- she will mash them.  

Ugh!!!! All of this heartburn and all I really want is the pie.

2 comments:

  1. I swear, some holidays are just a pain in the ass. If I were you, I would fake sick.....just a little. Maybe you have nausea, tummy is just not right. Then I would eat just a little at grandma's where you are comfortable. Hope you get through it in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year we are trying something a little different with the potatoes. We never make them ahead of time either but I am hosting the holiday here this year and my kitchen is tiny. So she is making a recipe that keeps them warm in the crockpot. She is bringing along some milk/cream to keep them moist while we are cooking everything else. Hope they turn out and good luck! I hope to be banded very soon so this feels like my last hooray..But I am not a huge thanksgiving eater so I should be okay

    ReplyDelete